Put a Bird on It

Have you ever noticed that there are a lot of songs about birds? About wings? About flying? We, as humans, seem to have a fascination with our feathered friends, and we sing about that fascination quite a lot. 

In the spirit of full disclosure, I'm a bit bird-obsessed. If you've ever seen Portlandia, then I imagine you could label me as a "Put a Bird on It" kinda basic, hippy white girl. I have no less than 7 bird-related books. My home is decorated in birds. What can I say? I like birds. All of this to say, I may have the tendency to notice songs about birds more than the average human. 




I think what makes us (me?) interested in birds is probably pretty obvious. They can fly. We've long been obsessed with flying, specifically with the thought of humans flying. Through mythology, literature, art, and science, we've toyed over the ages with human flight and how to make it possible. And less than 250 years ago, we made that possibility a reality. Go, humanity. 

And sure, flying is great and all, but for me, flying and birds have come to represent something important in my life, something that feels endless and intangible. My obsession is rooted in the fact that flying and birds have become a symbol of my struggles with anxiety. And as an English major (once an English major, always an English major), symbolism is life. 

The song "Blackbird" by the Beatles, as a for instance, is one of the most influential songs in my life. The lyrics reach into my soul and touch something that is neither fixed nor broken; it just is. 

Blackbird singing in the dead of night
Take these broken wings and learn to fly
All your life
You were only waiting for this moment to arise

Blackbird singing in the dead of night
Take these sunken eyes and learn to see
All your life
You were only waiting for this moment to be free

Blackbird fly, blackbird fly
Into the light of a dark black night

Blackbird fly, blackbird fly
Into the light of a dark black night

Blackbird singing in the dead of night
Take these broken wings and learn to fly
All your life
You were only waiting for this moment to arise
You were only waiting for this moment to arise
You were only waiting for this moment to arise

"You were only waiting for this moment to arise." Katie, this is the moment. 

This is a blog about anxiety. Anxiety has been my companion for years. I have lived with her, and I have flown with her through "dark black nights" and brilliant, sunshiny days. I see her in songs constantly, especially songs about birds and songs about flying. Songs like "Three Little Birds" by Bob Marley, like "Songbird" by Fleetwood Mac, like "Blackbird" by the Beatles. 

Music is healing. Songs can be where we find ourselves and our struggles and where we can feel not so alone. 

This is a blog about anxiety. It is an attempt to process my own anxiety but also to be a song for others to find themselves and their struggles in and for at least a moment to not feel so alone. 


What songs and lyrics have helped you make meaning of your own anxiety? 

Comments

Popular Posts